Sunday, April 12, 2009

Till the corners of the earth




I followed my parents to Sandakan Yatch Club the other day. Daddy had to take care of something and so mummy and I waited at its pier, we were just right above the spot where boats would be sliding down in trolleys from the land to be encompassed by the sea water. That is also the same spot where those who are going for a fishing trip would have a dopamine rush. I have once had that rush when I followed my daddy out for a fishing trip.

While we were there, my eyes were caught by the yatch with a Canadian flag raised high up on its edge. The fact that a yatch sailing all the way here to Sabah from Canada didn't hit me. I thought it was just some random people who raised a Canadian flag out of love for the country or at most, a Canadian who bought a yatch here in Sabah because a yatch here would have cost him tons cheaper! Okay, maybe not that cheap but still we're talking about Sabah! People would have develop a love for Sabah because of its cheaper stuff. Hah

But I went down to yatch club again last night to see another yatch, and this time a Sweden flag on it. I then saw two couples being tanned all head-to-toe having the complexion of coppertone, an older couple sitting on one side of the table facing another couple but younger around their 30s. I was told then that they both have been sailing all the way from their own country, across the ocean.

Imagine how much of your courage it takes up for you to have sailed all the way from your own country to Sabah. The couples were the only ones in their yatchs, no more and no less. Their journeys weren't blocked by the raging seas nor did they put their quests into a halt when the ocean throws a fit. The older couple from Canada happen to ask the location of the computer room as they wanted to know the condition of their family through technology. The man even had an artificial leg on one side and he was limping. This adds on to my awe! How great their desires are.

Tell me how many of us asians would do that. The western ways of thinking clearly separated their decisions while the eastern ways of thinking would be always to balance decisions in a yin and yang fashion, weighing the consequences of each decision. I think quest like this wouldn't allow undecisive characteristics. The couple also told us that they are in pursuit of their dreams, to travel around the whole world. They took 14 long years just to travel half the world! 14 whole years! It's really a long long period. You could earn a lot in 14 years! You could even earn yourself a Permanent Head Damage in 14 years! You could mould a child in 14 years! You could spend time shopping for material things that you always crave for in 14 years! But neither Dick of Harry could stop them from their quest. It's much more valuable than any other stuffs. They are now starting to travel the other half, completing what they have always wanted.


All of these brings me down to one point.

You don't have to earn the whole world! If you think you have earn enough, just go ahead and enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home